Saturday, January 15, 2011

Coaching & Counseling: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Connection

AKA: Coaching for Mental Health Maintenance

When I was in grad school, I was taught early on that there's a huge difference between coaching and counseling. They aren't quite polar opposites, but quite distinct and we should never consider using the methods of one when doing the other. Yada yada yada.

I beg to differ. I prefer to think of them as services provided along different (but sometimes overlapping) sections of a continuum. Let me take the scenic route and explain why.

I just read an article this morning about how MORE budget cuts to Arizona healthcare would totally eliminate mental health care for 5200 people, although the governor is willing to budget in 10 million for their psych drugs. That's only about 2 thousand per person; in some cases, it won't cover even a year's worth of meds.

Mental illness is just like physical illness - even the healthiest of us is not immune, but it takes certain conditions for any illness to take hold and worsen. But just like a physical illness, an ounce of prevention - or at least early care - is worth a ton of cure.

I wonder how many of these people might have been helped - better - if someone noticed when things started going wrong and took action.

When I worked in the corporate world, most of my coworkers suffered from stress. And I literally mean, suffered. Physical pain - from stiff necks to migraines to ulcers. One woman complained of insomnia and started using demeaning self-talk on herself, even though her friends, coworkers, and supervisors loved her. She started losing weight, though she was thin to begin with. She started to talk about how it would be nice to go to sleep and never wake up, if you know what I mean and I think you do!

Her boss noticed. He gave her a gift certificate for a spa weekend, and she came back on Monday like a new woman. Amazing what a little stress relief can do.

The point is, sometimes it only takes the work of a coach. And maybe sometimes, the work of a coach can prevent the need for the work of a psychiatrist and padded rooms!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying a life coach can prevent schizophrenia or the sociopathology brought on by early child abuse or anything like that. But sometimes, a little stress management, a little reminder about what makes a healthy relationship, a little reassurance that you AREN'T crazy might keep you from being that way.

It's not mental health awareness month, but people, pay attention to those you care about. If you see something is wrong, please don't let your friend or relative suffer in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment